Saturday, November 05, 2011

He still has his bear

I was feeling nostalgic yesterday so I combed through some old posts. And that is where I discovered my son. The one who took his bear everywhere, the one who repeatedly asked me to marry him. The one who could ignite my anger and melt my heart in the same breath.

I know his dad and I know him better than anyone, and yet I don't feel like I recognize him anymore. I love watching him grow and mature from baby to boy to little man...but the older he gets the more he becomes a mystery to me.

This week he came home after a rough day at school. He was snippy and defensive and I took it all in stride...ha ha just kidding...that is a lie. I got irritated. He went to his room to get something and I felt a tug in my heart. I knew I needed to get over my irritation and give him some love, and for once I acted on it. I went downstairs, got eye level with him, grabbed his head with my hands and planted a fat kiss on his forehead. I pulled his head back and looked him in squarely in the eye and said, "I love you buddy."

And that was when I had a flash of recognition. It may have been his smile or his eyes who knows, but it was him. Jaden Catcher Price, my son.

He may never ask me to marry him again...which is good because that would get weird...but no matter how bad his breath is or confusing his obsessions are he is and always will be my boy.

2 comments:

Sean said...

After reading this I realized that fatherhood has turned me into a softy for sure.

Suzanne Price said...

I hear you Sean. Welcome to "softyhood." It looks good on you.