Sunday, August 07, 2011

Ole'! Take 2

I've been to Mexico a grand total of two times in my life. Dan took me to a resort a couple of years ago for a delayed honeymoon/early 10 year anniversary trip. We lounged around kid free taking full advantage of the beautiful beaches, pools, all inclusive food and drinks, and the never ending sun. I came back tan, relaxed, and a bit heavier.

Two months ago I went back to Mexico. I came back exhausted, dirty, sporting a beautiful farmers tan, and hair I like to describe as "haggard mom hair." This was not a resort, but over the week I was there it became the most beautiful place I've ever been. The strong emotions have faded as they do after a trip like this, but what has replaced it is an understanding and a resolve that is deep and real. It is a strange and overwhelming thing to see God working and doing His thing in a different part of the world. I've heard about it, but to see it first hand simultaneously humbled and thrilled me. These kids in Mexico are the abandoned, the forgotten, the despised, and God has refused to allow that to remain. He is using Back2Back Ministries to restore hope to the hopeless...which is no small undertaking.

So for one small week myself and 58 others from my church got to jump in and help them do their thang. And I'm home now, reunited with my own children, and resolved to help restore hope to the hopeless in my own part of the world. Doing that looks much different here than it did there, but it is all for the same God.

And I think that is amazing.

No comments: